http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Transactional_DDL_in_PostgreSQL:_A_Competitive_Analysis provides an overview of this issue from PostgreSQL's perspective.
Is DDL transactional according to this document?
- PostgreSQL - yes
- MySQL - no; DDL causes an implicit commit
- Oracle Database 11g Release 2 and above - by default, no, but an alternative called edition-based redefinition exists
- Older versions of Oracle - no; DDL causes an implicit commit
- SQL Server - yes
- Sybase Adaptive Server - yes
- DB2 - yes
- Informix - yes
- Firebird (Interbase) - yes
SQLite also appears to have transactional DDL as well. I was able to
CREATE TABLE statement in SQLite. Its
CREATE TABLE documentation does not mention any special transactional 'gotchas'.